Monday, January 14, 2008

chicken livers and tweezers

I am working on a photo essay about an exotic animal rescue shelter housed in the basement and backyard of a residential home in Palos Park, IL. mister matt olsen, a boy that I met while buying frozen rats at the Chicago Reptile House, has acted as my guide for the project. He is a first-year biology student who volunteers at the shelter. These are some images I took Sunday night of a Coopers Hawk that was handed over to the shelter by Animal Welfare. The bird was very sick and couldn't even stand.
kim schilling, the founder of AFA and resident of its headquarters, force-fed the hawk chicken livers with her personal tweezers while mister matt olsen held the hawk and checked it's spine and reflexes.



"These are my eyebrow tweezers. Now everytime I use them I'll think of chicken livers."

No comments: